OS Grid ref:- 250200
Brandelhow Park on the quiet western shore of Derwentwater is owned by the National Trust, and consists of 108 acres of pasture and woodland at the base of Catbells. It was the first tract of land bought by the Trust, to prevent a housing development. The opening ceremony was performed by Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria, on 6 October 1902, Octavia Hill, one of the founders of the Trust, planted a tree at the official opening of Brandelhow to the public.
Brandlehow is a delightful mixture of woodland, grass fields and wet land offering superb views over Derwentwater's wooded shores and into craggy Borrowdale. There are picnic facilities by the lake. It provides an excellent habitat for the local wildlife. Whilst walking on this side of the lake visitors may be lucky enough to sight deer, red squirrels and herons.
Brandelhow can be accessed by road (parking may be difficult at busy times) or by taking the launch to either Low Brandelhow or Hawse End