The small and pleasant village of Lindale, also known as Lindale in Cartmel, near Grange-over-Sands is set on a hill overlooking Morecambe Bay.
John 'Iron Mad' Wilkinson, (1728- 1808) the famous and rather eccentric ironmaster, lived in the village. Wilkinson built the world's first iron barge in 1787.
Wilkinson was also responsible for designing and building the famous iron bridge over the River Severn at Coalbrookdale. The bridge was notable as it used joints, pegs and keys in place of nuts, bolts and screws.
Two years later, he further patented a method to make spiral groves in cannons that would project the ball further and straighter.
An iron obelisk erected to the memory of its most famous son stands in the village, situated at the crossroads on the road to Grange-over-Sands. The 40 foot obelisk, which weighs twenty tons, is one of the country's most curious of ancient monuments. Wilkinson had asked to be buried at in his garden at Castle Head, and his instructions were duly carried out.
A later owner of the house objected to the monument and removed it from the garden, while Wilkinson's remains were re-interred in the churchyard. The monument was replaced in its present position in 1863.
St Paul's church in the village was designed by the Kendal architect, George Webster (1797-1864).
Late Paleolithic remains have been discovered at nearby Lindale Low Cave.