OS grid ref:- SD490790
The small village of Storth occupies a pleasant position on the estuary of the River Kent, and is situated on the border between Lancashire and Cumbria.
The name Storth derives from the old Norse word meaning 'a woody place'. In the seventeenth century, Storth was a small hamlet with a few scattered farms in the outlying area. The main industries in the area were sheep farming, fishing and the gathering of cockles and mussels. Storth Sea Bank was built about 1776 along the lower part of the Kent Estuary.
The Kent Estuary is a haven for bird life, greenshanks, golden plovers, mergansers and goosanders, oyster catchers and lapwings can all be seen along its shores.